Ghosts of Christmas Presents Past
Feeling a little nostalgic. I miss the excitement of being a kid at Christmas. I would literally be awake all night, waking my sister up every hour. "Is it time to get up yet?" "No" she would growl. Then my brother would crawl into my bed and we would both annoy her. My brother always being the first to sneak down the stairs. We were not allowed to get up until 7 though usually by 6 my sister has given up and she would go wake up my mom. Then we would have to wait until my dad had his coffee before we could start opening presents. This seemed to take FOREVER.
Ahhh the good old days!
This got me thinking about the gifts I loved the most as a kid. I decided to make a list of the top 10 gifts I got as a child 12 and under.
1. Weebles! Weebles wobble but the don't fall down. I can still hear the song in my head. I loved my treehouse!
2. Colorforms! I loved all colorforms but nothing was better than this Holly Hobbie playset. I wish I still had this!
3. My first Scooby Doo. Scooby was and will always be my favorite of all time. My first one was short lived though...there was a recall for toxic paint. I never got over it. I think that is why I collected stuffed Scoobys for a while back in the 90's.
4. The Death Star playset. I was 6 and this was the coolest thing ever!
5. Hungry Hungry Hippos! Much to my mothers dismay, I wanted to play the crap out of this loud annoying game.
6. The Barbie town home. I played with this until it disintegrated. I loved the Barbies, but I loved my sisters Dawn dolls more. Somehow I lost them all. I still have no idea what happened to them. She has never forgiven me.
7. Smurfs, I had a bunch of these. I would go to the stationary store and ogle them often. What is a stationary store you ask? Well it was just the most magical place before the internet and computers killed letter writing.
8. You knew it was coming...my Cabbage Patch Kid. I still remember to this day opening that present. My mom was sweating it too. I later learned she tried forever to find one and it was her boss then ended up finding one for me, on Christmas Eve! I would have been devastated. All the kids (boys AND girls) brought their Cabbage Patch Kids to school the next day. You were not cool if you did not get one.
9. Atari. This got me and my brother through my parents divorce.
10. These exact roller skates! Yes, now I could be cool on Friday nights at the roller rink while skating along to Chaka Kahn.
I would love to know what your favorite gifts were as a kid.
No comments posted.