52 Lists for Happiness week 40.
List the things that were important 5 to 10 years ago that are no longer important.
1. I thought Brody had to play sports. Just because you have a boy doesn't automatically mean he has to join a team. We tried martial arts, soccer and basketball. He takes after his mom. He likes running, paddling and hiking most of the time. He just wants to play without rules. I am OK with that.
2. Keeping my hair dyed. I have been dying my hair since I was 15. Since I stopped dying my hair and have my gray in the front I have gotten more compliments on my hair than ever before.
3. Attending regular APG meetings. It was unfathomable that I would miss a meeting 10 years ago. I made great friends, had great opportunities and learned a lot back then. I haven't gone to a meeting in years. I still keep up with my photographer friends, they don't attend anymore either, but it is not important for me to have to network like that anymore. It is crazy to me how important and involved I was in this 10 years ago. I do sort of miss it but it has changed. Maybe I need to go to a meeting just for fun.
4. Worrying about my daughter in school. She has turned out to be exceptionally smart and resourceful. She can fix many things on her own car, she makes great grades in college, works full time, goes to college full time and is about to study abroad in 3 different countries next month! I say it all the time but I don't think I can ever say it enough. She is my greatest accomplishment in life.
5. It used to be so important to me to be praised by my peers. I have come to realize you get more praise from strangers than those closest to you and I have learned to not let it get to me anymore. Most of the people who made me feel small I have shied away from and my outlook on life now is much better for it. I realize some of it was me, but I have great gut instincts and some of it was them. I can't fix other people but I can choose how to feel about it.