Everyone else is doing it.
Here is my list of best + worst of 2017.
1. The Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 lens. This is a game changer! It has pretty much replaced all of my lenses for all occasions. It is so sharp and fast and so little distortion. If I had to pick one lens this would be it. It is big and heavy but worth it.
2. The Lensball. This facebook ad impulse buy has been the best little fun and frivolous thing. I carry it with me everywhere. It motivates me to take more pictures. Like I need that!
3. My taxidermy bat. It is ridiculous how much I love this little guy.
4. The bedroom remodel we did. I never want to leave my room. The color, the new bedding, the new furniture, the new TV. The bat gallery wall my husband made for me. It is my temple.
5. The kids bathroom remodel Shane did. This guy is so handy. There is nothing he can't do once he sets his mind to it.
6. Who knew Gluten free Vegan breakfast sandwiches would be my husbands specialty? Weekends are so much better since he started making these. I am spoiled. I usually get these, with a fresh cup of coffee delivered to me in bed.
7. The 52 Lists for Happiness book I received from my daughter. I have had so much fun keeping up with this journal and sharing parts of it here. This has also lead to my daughter and I giving each other the same Travel Listography book for Christmas, along with a couple of other books like this given and received from/to one another.
8. The iphone 7plus. I love having a phone that takes amazing pictures and is water proof. With all of the activities I do it is not easy to keep up with my DSLR. It can be cumbersome. Of course it cannot replace the Nikon, but sometimes I just want to be in the moment instead of always trying to capture it.
2017 was not all unicorns and rainbows. I try to keep it real without being overly dramatic on here. My mother has had some health issues. My father has been basically rendered incapacitated. There is serious conflict between myself and some family members that have really been eye opening and heart breaking. My aunt had a stroke. I had debilitating migraines. The year started off really bad for my daughter, health, work and school wise. There has been betrayals and setbacks. Work took a 6 month long stressful turn. Middle school proved to be more challenging than we hoped. Missed trips and we ended the year with a broken oven and car repairs.
Lets not dwell on the bad shall we?
There has also been some amazing times. My daughter has an incredible job. She is back in school and making the best grades yet. Good friends got engaged. Lots of friends bought new homes. Spent a grand amount of time at the lake. Laughed with friends and family. I also got to spend Christmas in New York with my Dad more to come on that. I also reconnected and visited with my childhood best friend! You can look back at some of my favorite experiences hiking, camping, and paddling. There were trips to Orlando, Costa Rica and even a flight to Charleston on my friends plane! I got to see bones and old cars. Attend scavenger hunts and escape rooms. Generally got to see and attend a bunch a weird stuff. There was art and animals. Boy were there animals! We added mice to the family, raised and released a baby squirrel and there were llamas and goats!
Whew! What a year. It was a year of doing. My husband has dubbed 2018 the year for new. I say it is the year of change but his sounds way more positive so we will stick with that.