Antioch Baptist Church
Along GA-22 near Crawfordville is the Antioch Baptist Church. Constructed in 1899 according to historical surveys performed by UGA. Two large towers flank the main gabled structure. The towers are an element of the Gothic Revival style, which was in vogue from the 1820’s through the beginning of the 20th century. This style of architecture was based on the colossal structures built mostly in France during the middle ages.
The sons and daughters of ex-slaves in south Taliaferro County and North Hancock County from the Powelton New Hope Baptist Church, led by Deacon Willie Peak, Deacon Abe Frazier and Deacon Philic Jones came together and founded the Antioch Baptist Church in Taliaferro County, outside of Crawfordville, on November of 1886. The deacon board purchased two acres of land from the Veazey estate and two acres were deeded to them for a cemetery. The oldest documented grave in the cemetery is 1898.
The building, built by freed and first generation freed slaves, has suffered from neglect and lack of maintenance for a long time.
Inside you will find a collection plate and a guestbook. From time to time there are services still held here.
By far the best part of visiting this church was the piano.
No comments posted.